Mass transit systems may be vulnerable to both accidents and terrorist incidents. Mass transit customers should be aware and vigilant. Be well informed and know your surroundings.
- Review emergency exit information on the vehicle.
- If you see something, say something! Report all suspicious parcels, bags or containers to the nearest police officer or transit employee. Never touch a suspicious object.
- In the event of an emergency, remain calm and follow the instructions of transit or rescue personnel.
- Only use cell phones if you absolutely must as they could interfere with emergency equipment.
- When riding MUNI, never leave an underground streetcar unless instructed or assisted by transit employees or rescue personnel. High voltage electrical systems that power the cars can be extremely dangerous.
- If you’re instructed to evacuate, take your belongings (but leave your bicycle behind).
- If you are traveling with others, stay together.
- If you are on a BART train, use the intercom at the end of the car to report your concerns to the train operator. Be prepared to give your exact location and the individual number of the BART car you are riding.