Have you ever wondered how those bulky and built up weightlifters got so giant and size? Of course, while some of them have gotten to that kind of a huge and majestic body following a strict diet and weightlifting, others may have got there by using illegal steroids. For those who don’t know steroids or nothing but synthetic substances which are very much similar to the male sex hormone called testosterone. Although they do have legitimate medicinal uses, sometimes doctors do prescribe these anabolic steroids in order to help certain people facing health conditions such as anemia and for those men who do not produce enough testosterone in their body on their own. However, doctors do prescribe a different type of steroid called corticosteroids which helps in reducing swelling and these are not really anabolic steroids and do not come with any harmful effects. Always note that doctors never prescribe steroids of anabolic nature to healthy and young people just so that they can build more muscle. Also remember that without a prescription buying steroids is illegal. There are different varieties of steroids. Let us introduce you to some of the most commonly used anabolic steroids that I consumed today — anadrol, dianabol, winstrol, deca-durabolin, o and run, and equipoise.
There is severe miss use when it comes to anabolic steroids. People who purchase illegally, and use these anabolic steroids generally do it to up their lean muscle mass game or reduce fat of the same body or even to speed up the recovery from an injury. These steroids are available in the form of capsules or tablets or injectable liquids the nature of this changes from brand to brand. There are some slang terms used to address steroids, they are juice, gear, and roid. Please note that anabolic steroids have been classified as PIED meaning performance and image enhancing drugs.
Who commonly uses these anabolic steroids?
With regards to certain research, anabolic steroid usage for purposes that are non-medical is more common among the men who are said to be living their 30s. Other groups who end up using these steroids are:
- bodybuilders and professional athletes who are involved in competitive sport or who have a stronger desire to succeed.
- Those people who work in industries where strength and muscle mass is considered important – for example, police, defense force staff, security workers, construction workers, and so on.
- Adults and young people who are very sensitive about their body image and want to look good and feel good by taking the muscular Road. This might include people from the entertainment and fashion industries.
How do steroids work?
The answer lies in our very own hormones. Anabolic steroids tend to work by imitating or naturally occurring hormone properties.
The chemical composition of anabolic steroids is very much similar to that of testosterone and it has the capacity of activating our bodies’ testosterone receptors. The moment these receptors are stimulated, metabolic reactions begin as the drug signals the body to increase the production of muscle tissue, it is similar to a domino effect. Please note that testosterone affects a body in two ways:
- Androgenic-it develops and helps maintain male characteristics-for example, testicles, penis, deep voice, facial hair, and muscle mass.
- Anabolic-it helps maintain bone density, helps in speeding up recovery after an injury, and also muscle growth.
If you didn’t know, testosterone is a male sex hormone and it is also found naturally in women, however in very less amount.
What effect do anabolic steroids have on our body?
People who use these steroids on a regular basis generally experience a positive amount of increase in their muscle strength very quickly. This means that one can train for a longer period of time and more often coupled with improved recovery rate. All of this leads to a rapid increase in the lean muscle tissue in the body. Fluid retention happens and this leads to muscle looking bloated and extremely soft.
What are the side effects while using anabolic steroids?
The side-effects differ from one person to another, some of the common experiences are:
- Difficulty in sleeping
- No damage because of injecting steroids
- Skin changes occur resulting in acne that could also scars the skin
- Mood swings, depression, irritability, and even aggression
- Fluid retention also known as water retention
- Increase in sex drive
- Often developing colds
Men in particular experience:
- Penis and testicles shrinking
- Decrease in sperm count
- Impotence or Erectile dysfunction
- Baldness , a patent hair loss
- Prostate problems
- Long lasting erection
- Breast development
Women in particular experience:
- Shrunk in breast
- Irregular periods leading to disturbance in menstrual cycle
- Deep voice
- Abnormal growth surround the clitoris
- Increase in facial and body hair growth
Young people in particular may experience:
- Balding at a premature time
- Acne scarring
- Stunted growth
- Injuries because of extensive workouts
- Stretch Marks in areas of arms and chest
- Premature aging skin
Some long-term side effects of using anabolic steroids
Usage of anabolic steroids on a regular basis can create permanent and unpleasant side-effects such as:
- Liver disease
- Psychotic aggression
- Malfunctions of heart for liver a kidney
- Damage to ovaries or testicles
- High BP also known as hypertension
- Severe acne that can result in permanent marks on skin
- High levels of blood cholesterol
- Mood swings and also deep depression
- Delusional feelings such as being invincible or superhuman. Or even facing muscle tremors
- Injuries occurring to tendance because of increased muscle strength
- Unsafe needle usage can increase the risk of falling prey to infections such as tetanus, HIV, hepatitis B or C.