Testosterone, the male bodily hormone that defines masculinity, is considered as the main hormone responsible for “manly” developments in men. The functions of testosterone are divided into two effects, i.e., androgenic and anabolic. Androgenic effects are focused on the development of male genitals, growth of body and facial hair, and voice deepening, whereas another result, anabolic is focused on increasing bone and muscle mass. Testosterone’s main production takes place in testicles, and its adequate levels are crucial for sexual developments and strength.
Testosterone can cause sexual issues if it does not perform its androgenic functions well. The androgenic role involves male Libido, sperm production, erectile function, and even fertility in men. Hence, the drop in the levels of testosterone can cause sexual deficiencies. Another factor many men lack is the “manly” features in them due to low levels of testosterone. At the same time, the other effect of testosterone affects bones and muscle strengthening. So, it’s required to maintain the normal testosterone level where normal range typically falls between 300 to 1,000 ng/dL, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
Why does it happen?
1) Hereditary or inborn: This is passed because of the genes, and low testosterone is from the time of birth that needs to be treated with therapies, and natural treatments have very fewer chances of impact.
2) Infection: Low testosterone can be affected by the diseases in the organs that are involved in the production of testosterone.
3) Injury: Many times, accidents or injuries cause damage to the testicles, which leads to deficiency in the production of testosterone and lower the efficiency of sexual functions.
4) Hormonal disorders: The deficiency in hormone secretion or disorders in pituitary glands can change the ways a hormone acts. Hormonal imbalances can lead to a low level of production.
5) Chronic diseases: Chronic diseases or treatments like cancer or chemo, Kidney, or dialysis can heavily impact the body, leading to interference in the natural body process and can affect testosterone production.
8) Aging: Ageing means the degeneration of some tissues from the body, and Low testosterone is inevitable at an increasing age. Exercise and physical activities are the treatments by which the issue is avoided, besides taking precautions from an early age that can help to delay the aging process.
What happens when testosterone level falls
It’s important to maintain and keep a look over the levels of testosterone. Usually, the low levels can be in the male body itself. Even though the causes of low testosterone cannot be identified easily, but the symptoms faced can easily help to determine if the testosterone has fallen below levels. Here are identified symptoms that can be experienced while testosterone levels are low:
i) Low Sex drive
ii) Erectile dysfunction
iii) Low semen and sperm production
v) Loss of muscle mass and bone mass
vi) Mood swings
viii) Cognitive effect
Fundamentals of Testosterone Supplements
There are various ways testosterone can be increased. It can be treated naturally as well through medication. The natural process mainly includes improving lifestyle habits to increase testosterone, while artificial techniques include medication, therapies, and supplements.
Lifestyle changes are usually easy to implement, like changing diet, exercising, or improving sleep. But the drawback is it’s not always necessary this will help in increasing the testosterone levels as the issue might be hereditary or due to any previous injuries or accidents too. Supplementing testosterone is considered as one of the most effective ways. But various supplements depend upon the causes of low testosterone, and it’s important to choose the right supplement.
Here are ways to increase testosterone levels:
1) Lifestyle changes: Lifestyle changes include improving a daily routine into a healthy routine. Keeping dietary control and eating foods that do not contribute to decreasing testosterone. One of the main factors that can affect the quality of life and sleep is “Stress.” Living a healthy life means keeping cortisol as low as possible. Extreme cortisol disturbs the hormones and their mechanism, which leads to decreased quality of sleep and, therefore, unhealthy routine and overall life, which needs to be followed for a lifetime and does not promise an exchanging return as the other artificial methods do. Hence, an imbalance in the routine can cause hormonal disturbance and affect the production of testosterone in the body.
2) Medications: There is a variety of range in medicines to supplement testosterone. Right from pills, gels to injections, some products have been offered to increase the levels of testosterone. Capsules and tablets get into the bloodstream post digestion and promote the production of testosterone. In contrast, Gonadotropin Injections are ingested in the body to help in signaling the body to produce more testosterone and increases the sperm count.
Gels are nothing but topical cream type material that is applied to various body parts to let the testosterone be absorbed into the skin. Usually, this medication does not involve one time doses and is for a specific duration until the target of the level is achieved. Those doses or applications are carried out from time to time when the levels go up high when, and then as the treatments reduce its effects, the testosterone comes back to normal.
3) Surgeries: The treatments that involve implanting testosterone pellets implanted for a course of three to four-month, where it releases testosterone and increase the levels fall under operation. Also, some surgery includes skin patches that keep releasing hormones into the body. This process usually is carried out every 24 hours. Some procedures are long term and show the result in 4-8 weeks.
These surgeries have a good impact on increasing the levels and sustaining for a longer time.
Benefits of the Testosterone Supplements
Sexual functions: An increased level of testosterone can help in optimizing the sexual function that might have affected efficiency. Sperm count, erectile function, and male libido all very much depend on testosterone production. Once the levels are achieved through the supplement, the sexual services, and functions efficiently.
Bones and muscle mass: As testosterone is also responsible for bone and muscle mass, the increased level of testosterone in the body can help to reduce the fat and increase the muscle. Also, it helps in strengthening the muscles that are beneficial to the male body besides the masculine manly features.
Improved cognitive function: Testosterone is also connected to various brain functions. Optimum levels of testosterone can help in keeping away brain diseases like Alzheimer’s. Hence, supplemented testosterone can increase your brain power and improvement in spatial memory.
Improved mood: Testosterone is such a hormone that can lead to mood spikes in men at a very large level. So the increased testosterone level due to the supplements can help to reduce the drastic mood swings.
Healthy heart and blood: Testosterone helps red blood cell production. Testosterone levels are linked to various cardiovascular risks and studies have shown that testosterone can help in keeping the heart and health by improving the blood production through the bone marrow
Choosing the right supplement is very important when the testosterone levels are really low. These supplements also have side effects, and factors like blood clots in the body, planning to become father, prostate cancer, sleep apnea, heart attack, or stroke should be strictly considered and consulted from experts while deciding on testosterone supplementation.