Usually, it’s the women that tend to get more cautious as they grow old in comparison with men. However, meant to have their own set of issues that they need to deal with as they tend to age. And out of those numerous issues, their ability to perform well with your partner under the sheets is what matters to them the most. And we all know that when it comes to sexual performance in men, it is testosterone that plays a vital role.
As men age, the levels of the testosterone hormone in their blood tends to drop. This particular decrease in the hormone is very hypothesised and has led to various problems such as anemia, bone breaks, sexual dysfunction, et cetera.
It is at this stage that men tend to search for solutions and are always on the lookout for ways through which they can keep their hormone game going strong and ensure that testosterone hormone levels never drop. Some look at supplementation as a way to solve the problem whereas some look towards testosterone therapy as a way to rectify their problem.
But how soundproof are these therapies for men who are ageing? Are the health benefits for real or will they lead to some other health limitation? Read on to know more.
Basics: What is testosterone?
For those who do not know, it is very important to learn and understand the basics primarily. Test restaurant is a hormone which is produced by men in their testicles. It is responsible for maintaining men’s health by large:
- It helps maintain bone density
- It also helps inadequate fat distribution
- It improves muscle mass and strength
- It is responsible for the body and facial hair growth
- It is known to initiate sex drive
- It is responsible for the production of red blood cells
- It also accounts for sperm production
As we age, what happens to the testosterone hormone levels?
For those who do not know it is during the Dollison’s period or the early adulthood time when the testosterone hormone levels are at its peak. And as men age, their testosterone hormone levels tend to decline gradually — that is typically by about one percentage every single year after they turn 30 or sometimes even 40 years of age.
When older men face the problem of low testosterone level, it is very important to determine if the lower levels are a cause of a natural process of ageing or is it because of a particular disease like for example hypogonadism.
Again, for those who do not know what is hyper when Addison — it is a disease that hampers the ability of the body to produce normal amounts of testosterone hormone because of a problem that is lying with the testicles or with the pituitary gland that is known to control the testicles. This is where testosterone replacement therapy is known to perform better. This therapy involves injections, pellets, gels or even patches that can improve symptoms of lower testosterone in men.
So, can testosterone therapy actually promote vitality and you?
Indeed, the testosterone therapy actually helps in reversing the effects of the disease hypogonadism – however, it is very unclear if this therapy actually benefits older men or who are otherwise known to be very healthy.
While there is this particular percentage of men who believe that they are more vigorous and feel more younger if they take testosterone medications, there is very little evidence to support the use of these medications in otherwise healthy men. Several studies show that this therapy definitely has the capacity of improving sexual function to some extent in men however there is very little evidence to show that it improves other functions such as energy and vitality.
What is the risk that men are exposed to if they resort to testosterone therapy when they are normal ageing?
There is no denying that any form of artificial therapy comes with side effects as well; the risks that testosterone therapy poses are included below:
- A much more troublesome sleep apnea: we know that this is a very serious kind of sleep disorder in which breathing tends to stop and start repeatedly.
- It causes a lot of skin reactions and also acne.
- It stimulates the growth of existing prostate cancer or non-cancerous growth of the prostate gets stimulated.
- The breasts begin to enlarge.
- It limits sperm production and also causes the testicles to shrink.
- It stimulates a lot of red blood cell production, which contributes to an increase in the risk of the formation of blood clots. In such cases the blood clot could also break loose, can travel through your entire bloodstream, and also get lodged in your lungs. This will block the pulmonary embolism, which is blocking blood flow.
- Also, there are several researches that show how testosterone therapy can also lead to an increase in the risk of heart diseases.
Why should you be talking to your daughter when it comes to testosterone therapy?
It is very natural for you to wonder if this kind of therapy is the solution for you or not. So how are you going to get this answer? The answer is to consult a doctor. More often than not, we tend to hesitate to talk about our sex life and the problems that we face physically when it comes to sex life to our doctors — this needs to stop now! Upon consulting your doctor, your doctor will most likely measure your test restaurant levels at least twice and then recommend if testosterone therapy is required or not.
Treating normal ageing problems with test restaurant therapy is definitely not advisable as mentioned before. If you do not have any underlying medical condition that is contributing to the low levels of distress drawn in your body, then your doctor is more likely to suggest natural methods of boosting the same — these might include losing weight, increasing your muscle mass and doing some resistance exercises.